Northern / NorthMart
Who we are
- Northern and NorthMart are a leading retailer to rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets.
- Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food.
- Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs.
- Northern and NorthMart stores carry food and general merchandise, serving remote, Northern Canadian communities.
- Northern and NorthMart are the first shopping choice in its markets thanks to having local selection, being in stock at the right time, helpful, friendly service and unwavering community support.
- Our meat departments are very important to our customers.
- The team ensures that product is displayed and priced to sell to customers.
- Meat includes chicken, pork, and beef as well as fish and seafood in the fresh and frozen cases.
How many stores?
- We currently have over 40 stores with a meat production department
- We have many stores with case-ready meat (meat that is packaged and cut off-site)
- We have over 130 retail stores located in communities across Northern Canada
- We are always expanding and re-developing meat departments in many of our communities
- You will be trained at one of our training stores, example locations include:
- Rossville, MB
- Moosonee, ON
- Inuvik, NWT
- During the first several months of your training, you will learn:
- Basic knife skills and knowledge of meat cuts on various species
- Safe food handling techniques and sanitation procedures
- How to prepare meat for sale – weighing it, wrapping it, putting it on display, etc
- Various cooking methods
- You will get real-time experience of how our logistics work
- Fly-in, ice road, Sealift, road stores
You will have the opportunity to grow and advance in your career
Evan Fontaine from La Loche, SK.
Started off as a student, worked as a meat cutter and trained in our stores. He is now the Meats Department Manager.
- You get to learn a valuable/diminishing trade
- You will train on-location
- You have the opportunity to grow in your career
- You can make a difference in the communities we serve by helping provide essential goods and services
- You can bring new skills and knowledge back to your community